Monday, May 24, 2010

mmm...Radishes!

This weekend we spent a lot of time in Olympia, visiting with family and friends. But that meant spending awhile away from my garden, and seedlings! Funny thing is that I actually missed them. I would think randomly, 'i wonder how the peas are looking?...hopefully the compost bin isn't getting gross...how big are the heads on my broccoli?...wonder if my seed starts are sprouting yet?'.

But we did end up going to the Olympia Farmer's Market on Sunday. The weather was a little iffy, but their market down there is AWESOME! There is a permanent building for the vendors, so you can walk around rain or shine, and stay dry! I was able to speak to a gardener about Clematis, and got some great tips for pruning after it goes dormant. As well as learning about Black Orchard Bees, and Bat boxes.

I was also excited to find Praying Mantis egg cases, and purchased one for the garden! I can't wait until they hatch. I've always like Praying Manti (is that the plural form? lol) and am interested to see if any of them hangout to eat the bad critters of the garden! Here's the packaging, from The Lily Pad, Oly. Wa.



When we got back home, I ran out to the garden to check things out, and most of the radishes are ready to harvest! I picked a few and brought them in, and my hubby promptly munched one down, and enjoyed it!



Such a gratifying experience running out there to pluck something from the ground, that I planted from seed, and then to see my family enjoying it. I'm constantly amazed at how easy it is so far to grow our own veggies, and look forward to every new harvest and planting. And love the feeling of seeing a new sprout popping through the soil. Yes, it may be a little silly/dorky. But it's awesome.

I'm a gardening nerd.

No comments:

Post a Comment